This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sedated Again

I woke up at 4:30am to my baby crying...which is a good thing and a bad thing.  Good because her voice is coming back (yay!), and bad because of why she was crying. Nurse Jessica said that she woke up and was grabbing at her art line in her neck/collar bone. She had also kicked off her pulse-ox probe, and her groin art line was also bloody...meaning she was kicking a lot and irritated the IV site.[bad baby]

Scarlett was crying because Jessica was changing the dressing on her neck art line in her right collarbone area and she was not happy. I got up to comfort her and noticed that her cerebral oximeter probe was also taped down to her forehead, which means she also pulled that off too. [feisty little boogar]

Before I went to bed at 1:00am (after my midnight pumping), I tried to feed Scarlett a 40cc bottle. She didn't take it. She wasn't interested in it at all. I assumed it was because Jessica had just suctioned (shove a tiny tube down Scarlett's throat and used the suction machine to get any secretions in her airways) her and she was still upset/traumatized from that ordeal. Well, nurse Jessica said after I fell asleep, she offered the bottle to Scarlett again, and not only did she not take it... she threw up! (probably the 35cc bottle from earlier in the evening. :(  poor baby. Consequently her nice new clean  blanket [from my previous post] is full of barf now and had to be changed.

So after all that, Jessica put Scarlett's right arm in a restraint cuff and gave her a little bit of Ativan to settle her down. She's asleep now.

2 comments:

  1. They are feisty aren't they? My little one actually pulled out her neck IV before they got the chance to sedate her again. I am so glad I wasn't there for that fussy episode.

    She is doing so good. You should be such a proud mama of your feisty little girl.

    God bless and we will continue to keep your family in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, you all are doing great! Tell Scarlett she is one tough girl~!

    ReplyDelete