This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Alert And Playing



After they extubated her, I pumped again and took a shower. When I got out of the shower, Scarlett was awake and alert and playing with daddy. She's still very groggy, but she had a little stuffed puppy and a piece of IV tubing about 4 inches long that she was attentively grabbing at and playing with. I was so happy to see her awake I felt like crying... it's been 4.5 days since she's been truly awake. I don't count the little 2-3 minute episodes where she gained consciousness, got super upset and had to be sedated again.

Today, she was awake and playing just like she should be...she was being a baby.  But after a little while, she started to make sad faces and you could tell she was in pain. She was wimpering and making extremely faint (but hoarse) cries. She even began to cry real tears...it was truly pitiful. I told nurse Tiffany that she was in pain and she needed medication. Nurse Tiffany gave her some morphine and now Scarlett's resting again.

She's well on the road to her old self. :)

2 comments:

  1. (Finally remembered how to sign in:)
    Yay Scarlett! Love being able to see that beautiful face again! Now make them take the cerebral off...haha! Lookin good!

    ReplyDelete