This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Pre-Op Tests Today

Well, yesterday was my last day of work until November 2. Today I take Scarlett for her pre-op tests for her big surgery on Monday. They're going to do an EKG, chest x-ray, draw her blood for labs, and do an assessment to make sure she is not sick.

Her oxygen levels are have been pretty good lately despite her lingering blue moustache haze above her lip. Last night when I spot checked her she was at 75-77. That's pretty good, I think! But boy will I be happy to get rid of that pulse-ox machine after her surgery...I mean I know it won't be immediately, but eventually, I really hope she'll be able to live a "normal" life. Where I can take her to friends/relatives houses and she won't have to be cooped up in the house all day. I've done a pretty good job of keeping her safe from germs/infection ever since she was released from the hospital.

Scarlett is 7 1/2 months old and has never been sick. (Other than the mystery fever in June). I make sure that I wash my hands like 20 times a day, and change her bedding, blankets and clothes regularly. By the time Violet was her age, she'd been sick at least 3-4 times with a cough/cold/upper respiratory virus.  But that's cuz I took Violet with me *everywhere*, and she was in daycare to boot.

I also believe that all the prayers for my little girl have helped keep her safe from illness. Scarlett was supposed to have her 2nd surgery between 4-6 months of age, and she's 7.5 months, I would have never thought that she'd make it this long between surgeries. She is very strong and one tough little cookie. I have sneaky suspicion she's gonna come through this surgery with flying colors and be home after only a week in the hospital. Here's hoping for the very best for her! I love you little girl, you're gonna do awesome! You're a Mendivil and Mendivil's don't take **** from no one!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go momma! Hope all the tests turn out well, not to stressful for Scarlett and that she stays happy and healthy for surgery Monday. Enjoy her this weekend, as I'm sure you plan to. She's a doll!

    ReplyDelete