This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Friday, October 23, 2009

20-question Melodie

Sometimes I feel so sorry for Beth (Scarlett's cardiologist). I call her ALL THE TIME. I text message her. I email her. I page her...and every cardiologist visit is usually (at least) an hour long because I take my little black notebook with me full of questions that I've written down in the previous 3 weeks. After Scarlett was born and before her 2nd surgery, I saw Beth *at least* every three weeks. But most of the time I saw her practically every week or every other week, because I am a worry wart...or it was for a Eller Congenital Heart Center Family Council meeting.

Yesterday, I was changing Scarlett's diaper and I started to get worried that she hadn't pooped in 48 hours. So I breifly pause...should I page Beth?... and of course without hesitation I think... Duh... what kind of question is that? of course I'm gonna page her why wouldn't I page her?... So I start writing down my list of questions:
1. Should I be concerned that Scarlett hasn't had a bowel movement in 2 days?
2. She keeps rolling over on her tummy, is that safe?
3. How many days should I wait until I can sponge bathe her? (I know I can't submerse her in water for 6 weeks after surgery, but how long should I wait to sponge bathe her?)
4. Before surgery she was drinking 1-2 ounces per feed, 3 tops, and now she's drinking 1-2 ounces, 3 tops, so it's really nothing different...when can we pull the feeding tube?
5. I've been giving her Colace every 8 hours because she hasn't pooped and she still seems backed up...is that okay even though she's taking all her other medications?

Okay, this time I really only had 5 questions, but just ask Beth... sometimes my little black notebook has no less than 20-25 questions.  Hey, I always read that you're supposed to write down your questions and bring them with you do your doctor's appointments so you don't forget. I took those words to heart. I write everything down. ...and I am a naturally inquisitive person. I just want to know.

Last night I gave Scarlett a quasi-bath with some soapy wipes that the hospital sent home with me. My poor little baby had 3 dreadlocks! She was lying on her poor little back for so long that she managed to mat the hair on the back of her head pretty good. I had to take a baby comb and slowly and carefully detangle her matted hair. It's deceivingly long in the back (she has a major comb-over thing going on...). When I took her onesie off to wash/wipe her off, I noticed her chest looks really dry and cracked (red and irritated). So again I page Beth...Is that okay? Can I put Aquaphor on it? So like I said... I feel sorry for Beth.

1 comment:

  1. Have you noticed an improvement in Scarlett's anxiety level since she's gotten to leave the hospital and get back home to her house where everything is familiar and cozy and not institutional? I was sure that would make a noticeable difference in her ability to let her guard down and get back to the business of being an adorable little baby despite the feeding tube and the oxygen! We're all so thrilled for you at work! Violet was telling me all about it today when she came down to work with Daddy!

    ReplyDelete