This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Low Blood Pressure


Throughout the night and early morning Scarlett's arterial blood pressure has been on the low side. Just a tad low. They want it to be in the 70-80's over 40-50's. Hers has been in the 60-70's over 40-50's, which is okay. But when it dips into the 50's over 40's, the nurse calls the doctor. Nurse Maria did it last night and early this morning (she called the Dr when Scarlett's ABP dipped and stayed in the 50's), then about an hour ago Nurse Becky called the Dr again.

Both times the Doc asks them questions (about her other numbers/sats), then the Doc tells them to give her more fluid. I guess intravenous fluid helps the heart blood pressure come up. Each time they give her fluids her APB comes back up to the mid 60's over 40's. 

In the pic above her ABP is 66/48 (in red).  Ah... but take a look at her oxygen levels (in blue)...98!!! yeeee-haw! Her pulse (in green) is 132 which is great. Overall, she's doing "rock solid" as Maria said this morning.  I am soooo happy....even if I'm a little worried about her low ABP.

They're gonna continue to keep her sedated throughout today to give her poor little body a rest from the 7 hour surgery she had to endure yesterday. She is still intubated (on a ventilator/breathing tube), and will still be all day today. Maybe tomorrow they'll try to wean her off of the ventilator.

She's woken up a couple of times and everytime she does it's pretty obvious....because Ding! Ding! Ding!, all her "numbers" get all wacko. Her numbers go up (pressures/pulses) and her sats (O2 level) go down. So, they're gonna keep her nice and sleepy all day today.

6 comments:

  1. It's all a balancing act, but it will work itself out! Hang in there!!!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are going smoothly! I hope to come up soon to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melodie, I am SOOO happy for you. I pray she continue to recover. I think it's normal for things to be a little off right after surgery as the heart has to get used it's new direction. And like you, I think 97 O2 is FABULOUS!!! I can only imagine how great to see that number feels. Alexa has also always only been between 70-85 all her life. Continued prayers for her and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just spent the last little while reading over your last few days.. agh.. It's amazing how it just takes you right back and completley floods you with emotions. I'm so glad she's thru the worst and is doing so well!! I can't believe her O2 sats!! That's amazing! She definatley liked whatever they did! :) I'm so happy for you to be done with the surgery.. so glad she's done so well so far in the recovery. Can't wait until that tube is out!! That's the best part of recovery! Yeah Scarlett! Keep up the good work! She really is SO adorable..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a balancing act as they try to keep her stable enough to start weaning her off the vent. Hope went through a lot of changes in her fluids and medicine until everything was stable enough for them to get her off the vent. Then they had to adjust some more before they would take the nose oxygen off. Then they had to adjust even more when she was breathing room air.

    Scarlett is doing great and I am sure it is just a matter of days before she is off the vent and breathing on her own.

    I will continue to pray for Scarlett and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article was great in suggesting new brands and
    styles to try out.
    , I thought this article was suppose
    to help those of us who have never used Blood Pressure Monitor
    Thank you so much for this comprehensive list!
    I have read many reviews and done a ton of research
    . This has helped me make decisions on Blood Pressure Monitor.
    .I am completely happy with your website
    . All comments and articles
    are very useful and very good. Your blog is very
    careful-take control.
    I am loving all of the inside ,

    ReplyDelete