This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

I'm A Hospital Peeping Tom

Scarlett's hospital room is on the 7th floor of the patient tower at St. Joseph's Hospital. The 7th floor only has one wing which is exclusively the Pediatric CardioThoracic Intensive Care Unit (PCTICU). The wing is shaped like a triangle and there are 24 rooms, 8 on each side. There is a full sized refrigerator next to an ice/water machine located in the corner between rooms 8 and 9. I'm in Room 13.

Everyday, a few times a day I walk down to the ice/water machine to fill my cup with ice water. I have to walk past rooms 12, 11, 10, and 9 to get to the ice machine.  Then back again to my room. Each time I leave my room, I have a choice to just look at the nurses, look at the floor, look straight ahead, or look at the 'other' side of the wall.....but do you think I do that??? noooo.

Everytime I leave my room, curiosity gets the best of me and my head immediately turns to the left as I walk down the hall and I subtly/casually (although obviously blatantly) peek into their rooms.  I try to see... Is the mom in the room? Or is the baby all alone? Is the baby sleeping? or awake? How old is the baby? Are they on a ventilator? What are they watching on tv? Why are their alarms going off? Does the nurse hear the alarms going off? Why are they crying? How long have they been here?

All this on my 30 second walk to the ice/water machine. Then the same thing on my 30 second walk back to my room. I concur that I am a 'Hospital Peeping Tom'. But hey... if they don't want me peeking in, then they should close their curtain, right? ; )

No new changes on Scarlett. She had a good night. I'm waiting for rounds (when the doctors stop at each patients room to talk about treatment for that day) to find out whether or not they're going to try to take her off the ventilator today.

No comments:

Post a Comment