This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Barf

I fed Scarlett 1 ounce bottle at around 11:30am, and she drank fine. Then around 2:30pm, the speech therapist (Andrea) feed her again. This time she took 3 ounces. I was pretty happy that she's been doing great and barf free. Well.... I spoke too soon.

Around 6:30pm I feed Scarlett a 2 ounce bottle. Then I sat her up to burp her and before I even got to the first pat on the back...  from the depths of her stomach came projectile S P E W.  All of it. all 2 ounces I had just fed her plus what seemed like the 3 ounces from earlier. : (  All over me, the floor, her bedding, her chest wound dressings, the blanket, her cords (blood pressure, pulse-ox, heart monitor).. everywhere. Poor little baby. :(

Nurse Tiffany said it was because she's full. Meaning she needs to poop. Tiffany said Scarlett has a full tummy and full bowels, so food has no where to go. Except backward. The barf was warm and curdled and it smelled kinda bad. If I didn't love her so much and feel so sorry for her, I probably woulda barfed myself. But I just felt so sorry for her. :(

Tiffany gave Scarlett a glycerin suppository. We waited for her to poop and she didn't. So an hour later nurse Claude tried to give her some Colace (stool softener) orally, and she barfed again! The minute the syringe hit her tongue, she immediately began to gag. Only this time there was nothing to barf, so she just dry heaved. :(

Nurse Claude ended up giving her another suppository and barely a half hour ago she finally had a bowel movement. A small one. Now she's sleeping again. Claude said when she wakes up again, we can try feeding her again. We will just put the Colace in her next bottle. No more meds by mouth, her gag reflex is too great for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment