This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Surprise Hospital Visitors

I have been remiss in neglecting to mention that during Scarlett's most recent hospital stay (for her heart cath) we had some very special unexpected visitors. First and foremost, Eva's mom Julie came down the hall as our 1st visitor. Eva has been in the hospital with HLHS since she was born on June 5. Julie didn't have to take the time to come to see Scarlett, but she did and I thought it was very thoughtful of her.

Our next surprise visitor was one of my aunts. She works at St. Joe's in the emergency room and was on her way home when she ran into me by chance in the lobby by the elevator. She came all the way up to the 7th floor (PCTICU) for a short visit. While she was still there my 3rd surprise visitor came by.


Paridhi, another fellow heartmom stopped by to see Scarlett (and Eva), while she was at clinic dropping off surplus supplies that could be recycled by other heart moms [very thoughtful/great idea, btw]. Paridhi brought Scarlett the most adorable fluffy white teddy bear, it was so unexpected and thoughtful of her. She stayed for a longer visit. It was nice to be able to talk/chat/bond and relate to another heartmom who has been there-done that.


While Paridhi was still there our 4th surprise visitor(s) came by. A very nice lady named Karen Alaniz (also a heartmom) and another nice heartmom with her stopped by and gave me a carepackage. A sturdy canvas bag filled with lots of special goodies. Karen said she represented a non-profit organization called "Mended Little Hearts" [also called Saving Little Hearts] of Phoenix. It is a organization providing support for heart moms in the Phoenix area. Karen said that they meet the last Tuesday of the month, if I was interested in attending. I told Karen that Paridhi was also a heart mom, and they gave her a bag too!


The bag was loaded with all kinds of treats. A spiral notebook, a pen, crayons, coloring book, stress ball (shaped like a heart), disposable camera, popcorn, M&Ms, peanuts, a deck of cards, gum, prepaid phone card(!), hand sanitizer, Kleenex, cheese 'n crackers, Skittles, toothbrush, toothpaste, a notepad, a stuffed animal (the raccoon mascot for MLH) and a reusable water bottle!!! I was very impressed to say the least. What a terrific idea. Here is a pic I took of the bag.





2 comments:

  1. I found you through Heidi's blog. Your Scarlett is gorgeous!!! All of the studio pictures of her are incredible. I love the one with the little pixie fairy. I will keep Scarlett in my prayers, for a smooth and successful surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melodie,
    The bag is terrific, having spent 19 days at Phoenix Children's Hospital in the past two months, I would have really appreciated something that. It's hard to watch Doctor's & nurses put your child through test after test while you sit frustrated and helpless. My best wishes go out to you and Baby Scarlett.
    With love, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete