This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Monday, November 30, 2009

More Stressful Days

Scarlett's grandpa (my father-in-law) lost his battle with ALS [aka Lou Gehrig's disease] this past Saturday leaving both of my girls grandpa-less. It's been a hectic and stressful week. Todd spend the last 5 days at his father's deathbed and for all intents and purposes I was a single mother for those days. Watching my cardiac baby and my temperamental 2-year-old 24 hours a day all by myself... and wouldn't you know it BOTH of them were *starving* for attention.

Scarlett would scream her little lungs off if I put her down, so I constantly had to hold her, then Violet was extra super clingy and had several meltdowns during those 5 days. I could feel myself going gray by the minute and can understand why some people drink. I love love love my girls, but it was very difficult being a single mother. I don't know how those women do it. I suppose when you add in the exclusive pumping, and the fact that during those 5 days Scarlett woke up 5-6 times during the night (thereby surviving on sleep consisting of 45 minute spurts).

We (me and the girls) went over to my sister's house for Thanksgiving and spent the night on Wednesday and Thursday night. You would think I'd have help from my sister, but alas... my girls wanted one person and one person only... Mommy. (and daddy of course, but he was unavailable).  It was a very trying time.

I am very sad for Todd. He is taking his father's passing very hard. I admit I am overwhelmed with feelings of guilt and depression that I didn't think I'd experience since he wasn't my biological father, but it is sad that he is gone, and that he had to suffer as much as he did. :(

Now that Todd is back home, Scarlett is very happy. She's a crawling expert. She crawls all over the place. She's teething (big time) and likes to bite her pacifier and her frozen chew toys. I can't believe that it's been 7 weeks since her heart surgery. She is doing so much better.

Today I called Apria and waited on hold for forever, that I finally hung up. I needed to call them to come and pick up the oxygen tank and the pulse-ox machine!! (woo hoo) because no longer needs them! Yay!

I took the girls to get their picture taken for Christmas, but at the same time I also wanted to get Scarlett's pics taken showing her most recent scar. I think they came out pretty good.

I wanted her to have professional photographs for her so that when she's older, she can know what she went through and I can remember what I went through watching her.  The came out really good.

You can see her 2 bottom teeth in this one

This one is my favorite :)


  1. aww, how cute and happy is scarlett! how stressful is it when they only want mommy, but at the same time I know when Kylee does this it also makes me feel special:)

  2. She is so adorable! I love the pics, she did come out very well! I am also glad she is feeling so much better after surgery, she looks it. Sorry to hear about grandpa passing.