This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grandpa

Tonight I took Violet and Scarlett to see their paternal grandpa. He is not doing so well. In fact, he is very very sick, and his doctors/caregivers do not think he will survive much longer. Todd took them (V&S)yesterday to visit him, but I was at work and I didn't get to see him, so tonight I took the girls to see him.

Todd put Scarlett in grandpa's arms (maybe for the last time) and I'm sure that grandpa could feel her and I hope that he was happy holding her [he is very weak and unresponsive]. My heart was breaking. My dad died when I was young, so my father-in-law is the only grandpa my girls ever knew and will ever know. It makes me very sad for my girls that they will grow up without their grandpa. Especially Scarlett. She'll never know how much he loved her. She'll never know what a sacrifice he made to be there for her during her surgery last month. She'll never know him. She'll only know stories I tell her.

I can tell her that I was so touched that he came down to St. Joseph's Hospital to show his love and support for her during her surgery last month.  I can tell her what it meant to me and what a sacrifice it was for him to be there for her. It showed how much he loves his son and granddaughter.

Scarlett will always know that her grandpa loves her. I know that we will all be reunited someday, but for now, I am sad that he is suffering and he is fading. : ( 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for the pain you family is going through, sending you lots of hugs and prayers during this time.

    ReplyDelete