At Tuesday's cardiologist appointment, Beth said that Scarlett is doing awesome and her shunt looks great. She's developmentally on track and is growing like a weed. She weighs 13lbs 13ozs and grew 2 inches. Beth said from the looks of it, we can probably hold off on surgery until maybe September or October, but that we'll keep the cardiac catheterization date of Aug 11th as a voluntary procedure just to take a look at her heart, but that there was no urgency. This was great news.
Well, this afternoon the cardiologist's office called me and said that there was a sicker baby that needed Scarlett's heart-cath slot and that they're going to postpone Scarlett's heart cath until Sept. 9 This is both good and bad (in a good way). Good because the longer we can put off surgery, the longer it will be before she has to have surgery again. Good because it means she's doing great. and Good because it gives her time to grow and get stronger for her second "big" surgery.
'Bad' because I still have to keep her sheltered because she's still fragile and delicate with that BT shunt in place. 'Bad' because I still have to give her the asprin and lasix daily to prevent the shunt from clotting...and 'Bad' because I still have to plug her into the pulse-oximeter every night to monitor her oxygen saturation levels. But believe me, I'd take the so-called bad anyday over not having her at all.
When I read other mother's blogs of heart babies doing so much worse than Scarlett, or those who are sadly no longer with us, it makes me really appreciate that God let me keep my precious little heartbaby in my life, and that she's doing fantastic considering her condition.