This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ethan's Funeral Today

Todd and I both got the day off work today to attend the funeral of Ethan Skidmore (6months old), who passed away one week ago from his CHD, HLHS. It is going to be very hard, and I doubt I'll be able to keep it together, but it's important to me to be there to show my support for Heidi, Greg and their children.

Scarlett ate like crud again yesterday which makes me think that she'll probably definitely have her second surgery in two weeks when she goes in for her heart cath. I had noticed that she'd been eating less, but it never occured to me that "poor feeding" was a sign that it is time for her next surgery. Thank God for monthly visits to the cardiologist, so they can assess these things.

It is extremely hard for me not to think about Scarlett's unknown fate. Today's funeral is going to be especially hard for me since I only met 2 mothers that last week in February when Scarlett had her first surgery. The first mom I met was Brooke Paulus [Angel Andie's mom] and the second mom was Heidi Skidmore [Angel Ethan's mom]. Our hospital rooms were extremely close...I was right next to Heidi, whose son is/was one day younger than Scarlett.... and Brooke was basically right next to Heidi too (on the other side). Why it is going to be hard for me is because BOTH Brooke and Heidi have lost their children due to complications of their child's CHD. Not that I'm thinking that Scarlett will suffer the same fate, but it's hard not to think about the fact that she's the last one remaining of those three. I'm starting to get teary-eyed thinking about it.

I read Brooke's blog on a regular basis and I feel so terrible for her. I can't help but even feel almost guilty that my child survived and is reaching the milestones that her beautiful little daughter should have reached and that she thinks about daily (Andie Grace was 2 days younger than Scarlett). And now everytime I see Heidi I'm going to feel the same way about Ethan. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment