This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Regenerative Research

I wanted to share this awesome story that was on 60 minutes tonight.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5975132n

It is about regenerative research and it gives me hope that someday scientists will be able to grow heart valves from stem cells. When Scarlett was born, I banked her cord blood which is rich in stem cells. This story really gives me hope for my daughter. Please support stem cell research.


Scarlett is doing so well. Her separation anxiety is lessening more and more each day. She's becoming more independent and showing an interest in playing with toys. Here is a pic of her playing with her piano.





She's also doing better at eating solid foods. On Saturday I made some breakfast potatoes and I put some on her high chair tray and she went to town and ate all of them! I really hope that she puts on some weight at her next doctor visit. Both the pediatrician and the cardiologist want to see her in two weeks because she only weighs 14 lbs 9 oz... which is pretty much what she weighed in August.  Her stay in the ICU really took it's toll on her growth and weight gain. : (

But hopefully she's getting back on track. Beth (Scarlett's cardiologist) changed her formula from Nutramigen to Gentlease. Of course she's still being fed expressed breastmilk, but I have to fortify my milk with formula in an effort to get her to gain weight. [that means I add a few scoops of formula to my milk]. I am determined to breastfeed for 1 year. Only for me, it's not literally breastfeeding, it's pumping and fortifying..and thickening. But Beth also wants to start to wean Scarlett off of the Simply Thick. So for the last few days I've been making my thickened bottles a little thinner. Which thereby will also increase her calorie intake (because the thickener takes away calories).  I'm really really hoping she gains some weight for her next appointment. I will probably bust out in tears if she's still at the 14 pound mark. : ( It's been five months already!

No comments:

Post a Comment