This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

MRI Today

The hospital called me on Sunday to go over her admitting instructions for Scarlett's MRI today. I didn't know that they had their own parking lot and their own admitting desk. The lady who caled me told me Scarlett couldn't hve anything to eat after 4:30am. But she could have clear liquids until 8:30am.

She said that she could wear her normal clothes during the procedure as long as it doesn't have metal (snaps in onesies), because metal would interfere with the scan. She said that they will put a anesthesia mask over her mouth/nose, she'll take 10-15 breaths then fall asleep. For some reason when she said this I started to cry softly to myself. Probably because I'm remembering the same senario from her last CAT scan and heart cath. Then the lady said that they will probably insert a breathing tube down her throat because they will have to take some "still shots".

She said that Scarlett will probably have a sore throat when they take the tube out. I had tears rolling down my cheeks. I feel so sorry for my baby. Its not fair. I don't know why it upset me so much to know that she'll be intubated, but it did. So with a lump in my throat I wrote down everything she said. And I answered all her questions. No, she doesn't have a pacemaker. No, she's not allergic to anything. Yes, she has metal in her body (wires holding her sternum closed). No, she doesn't have diabetes or high blood pressure. Yes, she's had surgery before. No, she's never had an adverse side effect from the anesthesia. And on and on and on.

You would think after 2 open heart surgeries, 2 cardiac catheterizations, and 2 CAT scans, this would be easy for me. But it's not. I'm still scared. I'm still worried. I'm still sad. I couldn't sleep last night. I woke up to feed Scarlett at 3:10 this morning and I couldn't fall back asleep until almost 5:00am. But I'm not even tired believevit or not.

Grandma spent the night last night so she can watch Violet today while we're at the hospital with Scarlett. So last night Scarlett was singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with mommy and grandma. Well, she doesn't sing of course, but she does the hand gestures during the song and she claps when its over. Then she immediaty starts the spider hand gesture again to signal to us to sing it again. It was precious.

Well, one more hour to go before we head out for the hospital. I'll post more when I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment