This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Better Today

I'm happy to report that she's feeling much better today than she was yesterday and last night. I was very worried about her last night. When her fever spiked to the point where even after I put her in the tub, she was still burning up I knew I had to take her to the ER.  Then after her bath, while she was wrapped in a towel, she started dry heaving again, but this time rust colored bile/mucus came out. You guessed it... blood.

I didn't know it until last night, but yes, she had gotten so to the point of puking blood, that's when I almost called 911, but I paged the cardiologist, an hour earlier and she said if she didn't improve in an hour, that she'd call St. Joe's and tell them that we were on our way. Laura said we didn't have to call 911, but that's how scared I was.

My sister rushed me and Scarlett to the hospital and Todd met us there because he was at work. They made us wait in the lobby for a few minutes then took her back to peds ER. They said that the blood was probably from her throat from being intubated (breathing tube). 

I took her to the ER for 3 reasons. 1.) she needed a Tylenol suppository 2.) She needed IV fluids to rehydrate her 3.) she needed anti-nausea medicine.  By the time we got to the ER, around 8:00pm last night, she was so dehydrated that the nurses couldn't find a vein to put the IV in. They had to poke her 3 times and use a special vein finding light to find a vein. She was screaming her poor little head off everytime they poked her with the needle and searched for a vein, but NO TEARS WERE COMING OUT. They said that when you're dehydrated it makes your veins shrink and hide.... grrrrreat.  Poor little baby.

After they finally got an IV in and got the Tylenol in her, she immediately started doing better. She was so lethargic and listless, but after a little fluids and when the fever finally broke, she had a little bit more life in her. She looked absolutely pathetic and pitiful.

The ER doc called the cardiologist and the on-call cardiologist said because of her fever and her dehyration, he wanted her to stay the night for observation.  We're up in room 17. It was close to midnight by the time we got up here. She slept pretty well through the night, only woke up a few times, but settled down pretty good.

This morning they gave her 2oz of Pedialyte around 5am, and she's kept it down so far. Then around 7:30, she drank one more ounce of Pedialyte. and at 8 she took 1 ounce of whole milk.  Keeping it all down so far. They said that if she can keep the milk down, they'll let her go home today.  But, boy what a rough 24 hours it has been for my poor little baby.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Melodie, What an ordeal! I'm so sorry! I'm so happy to hear that she is doing better this morning! ((hugs)) to you all!! I will keep cute Scarlett in my prayers!