This is a blog for my daughter Scarlett. She was born with a complex congenital heart defect known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. She is my little hero.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Heart Cath

As I'm writing this Scarlett is in the 'cath lab'. Just as I expected, it was extremely difficult to hand her over to the nurse. She started bawling immediately, so Todd had to go into the cath room with her to hold her while they 'put her under'.  Talk about a grown-man crying...

I meant to blog several times since my last post, but I don't have internet access at home anymore, so it's been tough.  Since my last post, I had a quasi-nervous breakdown because of Scarlett's leaky valve.  The second I heard Dr. Pophal utter the words I was immediately panic stricken.  WHAT? NO!, Not yet!

I know that the words "leaky heart valve" means that she's that much closer to her next open heart surgery...and at the time (May 13) it had only been 7 months since her last major open heart surgery. I was anticipating that her homograft would last her at least 2 to 4 years as they had originally hoped.

But, Dr. Pophal was pretty calm about it when he told me. He said that she wasn't in immediate danger, and that if the leak got the same or worse at her next echocardiogram (a month later), he would just schedule her for the cath lab where he could balloon open her pulmonary arteries.

So, I was prepared at her next cardiologist visit that it was a very real possibility that she could be going in for a cardiac catheterization this summer. As expected, at the next visit (June 10), Dr. Pophal said that the leak was the same. so they scheduled her cath for today June 29.

Dr. P said that he planned to go in and stretch her pulmonary arteries so that the blood that is going in there and regurgitating back to her right ventricle will stop regurgitating. But this morning, he said that IF he's not able to stretch (balloon) her arteries, or IF that isn't the reason why the regurgitating is happening [which is a possibility], then it means that it's possibly time to replace the homograft. Which is a fear of mine. I hope and pray that this isn't the case, but I will blog more after she comes out of the cath lab.

2 comments:

  1. Really hope they can get things fixed with the cath! Praying for you that all turns out well and you get good news.

    Michelle
    www.withallmyhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you all! Keep the updates coming...

    ReplyDelete